Won't go into 3rd gear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a 1989 BMW 318 that's been sorn for ages and am thinking of getting it back on the road. It was getting hard to put it into 3rd before but having had a look now it really just does not want to go at all into 3rd.. all other gears are fine. On the face of it does that give any good indication as to wether the gearbox or clutch are at fault and does anyone have an idea what the repair costs might be in either case?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you do it by double de-clutching? Does it go in 3rd when the engine is not running?

Nozzle

Whats double declutching? I havent gotten it to start again yet so have just been testing it unstarted and it wont go into 3rd in the normal manner.

Don't worry about it until you have the engine running......it helps things align before the gear goes into place.
Double declutching, if I may poach, is depressing the clutch once to come out of gear and into neutral, and then depressing once more for the next gear to be selected....essential in the days before synchromesh transmissions.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about it until you have the engine running......it helps things align before the gear goes into place.
Double declutching, if I may poach, is depressing the clutch once to come out of gear and into neutral, and then depressing once more for the next gear to be selected....essential in the days before synchromesh transmissions.

You forgot the blip on the accelerator in between to try and rev match the gears. :LOL:

Indeed - gets the gearbox mainshaft spinning at the same speed. :cool:
Passed my HGV in an ancient BMC diesel truck (same sort as the army green goddess)....crash box and the gear lever was about a foot behind the driver.
Awful bloody thing which wouldn't start in the winter anyway :eek:

If it doesn't go in 3rd with the input shaft stationary, that is likely a problem with the selector mechanism. Perhaps more to it on a modern gear box.

Back