wood beads on D/G units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have timber windows where the D/G units are held in place with 1/4 round beads that are pinned to the frame.
The beads need replacing, they have shrunk and the pins seem to be coming out of their own accord (could be the effect of expansion/contraction in the sun)
Anyway, my question is this...when I come to replace the beads I was going to use a hardwood first of all, to combat the weather. But then I wondered if there was a way to secure the beads to the glass and frame without pins. Something along the lines of a silicon material that I squeeze onto the frame and glass before fitting the bead. I imagine it would have to be slightly adhesive and have good weathering properties. I also thought it would act as a seal between the bead and glass, preventing moisture getting in.

Sponsored Links
May mean you have to destroy to change glass when it fails, timber should be sealed so moisture should not be a problem.

I have timber windows where the D/G units are held in place with 1/4 round beads that are pinned to the frame.
The beads need replacing, they have shrunk and the pins seem to be coming out of their own accord (could be the effect of expansion/contraction in the sun)
Anyway, my question is this...when I come to replace the beads I was going to use a hardwood first of all, to combat the weather. But then I wondered if there was a way to secure the beads to the glass and frame without pins. Something along the lines of a silicon material that I squeeze onto the frame and glass before fitting the bead. I imagine it would have to be slightly adhesive and have good weathering properties. I also thought it would act as a seal between the bead and glass, preventing moisture getting in.

I don't know how well silicone would hold it, but if you do use silicone, make sure it's neutral cure silicone, that won't attack the DG unit seals.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back