De-glazing existing unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am swapping some obscure d/g panels for clear. I need to remove the obscure glass from an existing frame. What is the best method to remove the glazing beads from the inside of the d/g unit?

Sponsored Links
Carefully insert a thin bladed knife into the gap where the angled glazing bar meets the window frame, at one of the corners, and give it a slight twist. You will find that the glazing bar will spring out of it's register and you will be able to lift the complete bar out. To re-fit the glazing bar, insert one end (with it's profiled locking section tucked into the frame) and tap, with a soft faced hammer, or a hammer and a block of wood, all the way along the bar. I find that a smear of liquid soap, on the locking profile, helps when re-fitting. Also, some light pressure, on the new DG panel, pressing it into the bedding foam tape, helps re-assembly.

Many thanks. I understood the principle ... but remained ignorant of the correct tools and approach.

Sometimes you have to remove the rubber trim around the perimeter of the window on the inside. This make the unit loose in the frame, then you remove the outer beading. When you refit the unit, you push back in the inner rubber gasket, and this tightens the whole thing up again.

Sponsored Links
ryoc said:
Sometimes you have to remove the rubber trim around the perimeter of the window on the inside. This make the unit loose in the frame, then you remove the outer beading. When you refit the unit, you push back in the inner rubber gasket, and this tightens the whole thing up again.

Thanks for that extra help. Les

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back