Wood bleach

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas,

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with woodstains :cry:

I bought 6 small tins of 'Colron' wood dye of the colours I liked, however past experience told me the final shade would be dependent on original wood colour so I first tested on some sample pieces.

I want to stain my new stair handrail/baserail so I tested the dyes on a scrap spindle (made of the same wood as the handrail) and the colours just do not look the same as the 'Colron' samples I saw at my local DIY shop.

I then tested on some offcuts of the handrail I had left over, again the colours are not to my preference and differ to the sample I made on the wooden spindle.

Someone suggested bleaching the wood first as it would give it a very pale shade and less likely to affect the final colour once the dye is applied?

Good idea or bad?

btw....the handrail and baserail are made from Pine.

Sponsored Links
It will vary with the timber... I don't find softwoods stain very evenly. Have you rubbed it smooth with fine paper and cleaned/degreased throughly with white spirit?

I've never found it necessary to bleach... rubbing off the oxidised surface layer will get it pretty pale.

The best way to apply woodstain is to mix it with Danish Oil and then buff it off.

claire79 said:
Hi fellas,

Someone suggested bleaching the wood first as it would give it a very pale shade and less likely to affect the final colour once the dye is applied?

Good idea or bad?

btw....the handrail and baserail are made from Pine.

Are you trying to get an antique pine finish? wonder if the bleach advisor was thinking of the stripped pine effect when a peice of furniture is dipped in caustic... ewwwww..
Myself I'd go for something like sadolin interior woodstain..( the antique pine came up true to colour when I did similar some time ago) and a couple of coats of varnish..
Good luck

Sponsored Links
Last time I stripped a staircase, the wood was pine.

I don't like using wood stains so I generally just use oil based varnish, this brings out the natural colour of the wood and naturally deepens it, leaving a beautiful colour.

(By the way, this wont happen with water based varnish.)

If you're using wood-stains, you're going away from the natural look.

Try some clear varnish and remember, it will deepen over time.

Yours faithfully......Growler.

This is the look i'm trying to achieve:

pic-h.jpg

Anyone know what colour/type of wood that is?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back