Wood block in cavity wall vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front bedroom of my property has a vent in the wall. Curiously, this is the only room in the property that has one (maybe the room had historic damp problems?). Anyway, as part of my renovation work, I’ve removed the vent cover temporarily, and have found a piece of wood that is mostly blocking the said vent:

EEFF8172-8000-4AEB-9978-5CE223C0B1CC.jpegD3575E66-882B-405C-AF4F-DCC2D99A0AE9.jpeg

I haven’t located any external air bricks on this wall yet (overgrown vegetation is probably hiding them), but does anyone have any idea why this piece of wood would have been placed in here? It’s not particularly well secured either. Anything to be concerned about?

Sponsored Links
The front bedroom of my property has a vent in the wall. Curiously, this is the only room in the property that has one (maybe the room had historic damp problems?). Anyway, as part of my renovation work, I’ve removed the vent cover temporarily, and have found a piece of wood that is mostly blocking the said vent:

It's likely a remnant from the days when coal fires, needing lots of ventilation, were the norm, if it is on an outside wall. Likely blocked up /botched, to try to reduce the cold draft. If so, safe to brick up and plaster over.

Interesting, it is on an outside wall, but it’s a 60s bungalow and is at the very front of the property.

Sponsored Links
Interesting, it is on an outside wall, but it’s a 60s bungalow and is at the very front of the property.

60's would probably have a coal fire/stove. I had several of those vents and two coal fires, they were bricked up and plastered over in the mid 80's.

If you have timber floor, don't block vents for the underfloor area, those are essential vents, to avoid rot.

Ok, good to know, thanks for the advice! I’m having other works done in that room so I might ask the builders about blocking it up at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back