wood burner liner query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all. Great site this, I've been reading for a few weeks and there is so much good info here.

Anyhow my query is I had an old back boiler that we took out and want to put a wood burning stove in its place. In the chimney the old flue liner from the back boiler is still in place. The question is would I be able to connect a wood burner to this liner via a piece of 5" solid pipe. Basically wondering if there's any difference in a liner for a boiler and a stove.

Thanks in advance J

Sponsored Links
Hi Big All no I wasn't aware of that. I'm not intending to sell anytime soon and am sure a few friends have fitted without planning. The chimney's there so why not use it. I will be getting it cleaned first though, after I've taken the old liner out.

Sponsored Links
Some people do work like this without HETAS or going through Building Control, but it can affect an insurance claim, as well possible carbon monoxide problems with work not done properly. If you know what you are doing it's not such a problem.

Ahh the dreaded insurance I never thought of that, they certainly don't need much to refuse a claim.Will defo get a carbon dioxide alarm. It's just paying someone else to do something I can really grinds with me. Plus it's not cheap either.

with respect it involves going on the roof to drop the new class 1liner down and you can do that??? :eek:
also your house burns down because you decided you knew what you where doing :cry:
and off course the nasty insurance company wont pay out because off the silly rules you didnt comply with

as an aside iff you have gas fired central heating it is cheaper to run than a wood burner

Ahh the dreaded insurance I never thought of that, they certainly don't need much to refuse a claim.Will defo get a carbon dioxide alarm. It's just paying someone else to do something I can really grinds with me. Plus it's not cheap either.

It's not planning, it's Building Control. You don't have to pay someone else to do it - if you follow regs you can put in a building notice, do it yourself and get it signed off.

At least read:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partj/approved

Cheers
Richard

I have a friend who recently installed his own and did it through Building Control, all signed off and no problems whatsoever so the DIY route is fine if you do it properly (DIYP).

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with getting rid of the old liner and fitting the stove without a liner, using the solid 1M pipe I have going into the chimney at least 600mm and closing the opening with a metal plate with a small accsess hole to get hover in as per link.thanks for that. I will do everything correctly and get it signed off(hopefully). Not going to be used everyday more a weekend/guests thing.
Thanks again for advice and links. J

please dont fit without a liner top to stove as you get a build up off tars and resins hence the reguirements for class one liner for a woode burner :eek:

please dont fit without a liner top to stove as you get a build up off tars and resins hence the reguirements for class one liner for a woode burner :eek:

My stove has a metal flue straight to the outside. One night I banked it up with wood and forgot to close down the vents. I went downstairs later to find the stove roaring away, the bottom of the flue red hot, and the sound of crackling as deposits inside the flue burned away.

Translate that to an unlined brick chimney and you have a potential chimney fire.

Cheers
Richard

A friend of mine who fits appliances for a living reckons that all the wood burners he knows will be much more efficient with the correct sized liner against the original brick flue.
However they can be wrecked within a few years if you burn damp wood on a slow burn all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back