Wood burning stove

8 Feb 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have just been given a wood burning stove which i want to install in my basement living room.

Its a victorian terrace house but the chimny breasts have been removed by prevoius ovners.

Can i just run a flue pipe up through the house and out the roof or out of a wall and up the back of the house?

Where can i go to buy a flue?


Sponsored Links
It needs to be installed properly, you need to ensure that the waste gases are being expelled properly, and that you have adequate ventilation, the last thing you want is to poison yourself and / or your family with carbon monoxide.

And yes, woodburners can give off CO.
very expensive job.insulated twin wall flue is now probably about £75 per metre. plus starter, clips,cowl and locking bands.looking around 1000 to 1500 just for materials.
Sponsored Links
I am no expert and I dont even know if there are regulations covering wood burning fires.

What I can tell you is what a friend with a bungalow had to do when he fitted his.

He had to build a new chimney using blocks of insulating material similar to pumice with the chimney hole in the centre about 9" diameter and the blocks were about 24" x 18" and 6" high. They cost about £15 each and the whole job was about £500 although I dont remember what the external part involved, it may have been a brick chimney with a liner and fibreglass insulation.

He got virtually no use from it as he let it as a holiday home and sold it a few years later when the retired lady who was doing the changeovers decided to give it up. He made a good profit on the house price but lost money on the lettings.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local