Wood colour query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Just bought a piece of sapele which seems a bit too red in colour for what I want, but is good wood.
Query is, is there any way to lighten the colour a little before a clear varnish is applied. I know that the varnish or some other finishes will darken things up usually.

In advance for any replies,
Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
You can use wood bleach on the surface to get it paler, see

http://www.rustins.co.uk/wbleach.htm

but I would imagine that sapele will always retain a bit of a weird colour, It is possible to change the hue of some woods by fuming them (with acetic acid, amonia or various other chemicals) you can get a beautiful brown resembling aged rosewood on bright woods such as mahogany and sapele by painting on a solution of pottasuim bichromate (an oxidising agent that basicly ages the woods natural pigment really quickly).

The wood bleach that rustins sell is a two pack product, first is ordinary hydrogen peroxide, second is a neutraliser, presumably a mild acid.

It is possible to bleach wood using peroxide bought from the chemist, but making sure it is all neutralised or washed off can be very tricky. OK if you don't mind flushing the wood in water and waiting for humidity to recover.

Thanks, David P.
I really appreciate your information, together with the Rustin web address which may be useful to refer to on occasions- but you have answered what I needed to know on this query. The wood is 4foot*3inch*4inch which I should be able to treat ok

Many regards. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back