Wood filler mismatch on stair treads - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I recently took off the carpet on our stairs and was going to redo them with white risers and dark varnished treads. I bought slightly the wrong colour ronseal wood filler and now I'm realising that this will show up when I paint any varnish on. Is there anything I can do to still be able to varnish the treads or will I have to paint them now?

Attachments

• IMG_5730.JPG
    IMG_5730.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_5731.JPG
    IMG_5731.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 572
Sponsored Links
You didn't buy the wrong colour what you bought is just crap. I am not being facetious when I say if you ever find a filler that matches various shades of properly let us all know because I haven't found one yet. I suppose the correct way to go about filling wood is cut the affected part out and glue an insert in made from the same wood.

Probably won't be as noticeable once sanded down (the filler.)
If it's still a problem, perhaps you could get a small pot of wood dye, and dab it on the nail heads before you varnish.

You might get away with sanding the unfilled part of the stairs with a medium grade and collecting the dust.
Either totally remove the filler , or enough to recess it, then mix the dust with pva and use that as the filler.

Then sand for finish

Sponsored Links
You might get away with sanding the unfilled part of the stairs with a medium grade and collecting the dust.
Either totally remove the filler , or enough to recess it, then mix the dust with pva and use that as the filler.

Then sand for finish

thanks that's a good idea and one i've seen mentioned elsewhere. i was thinking as a plan b to paint the treads in floor paint. anyone had any experience with painting treads?

Please let us know how you get on with it and what it looks like when finished. I like your idea of getting rid of the carpet.

It is surprising how much wear a stair takes

My school building was 100 years old when I started at seconadary school and the stone was very dipped, showing the wear. We use epoxy floorpaint over concrete at work but it generally needs redoing every year

Personally I wouldn't paint wooden treads, it will soon looks scabby... stick to filling and sanding.

Personally I wouldn't paint wooden treads, it will soon looks scabby... stick to filling and sanding.
Ok will try the sanding method first and see how I get on. Will provide update pictures of the final varnish or painted treads.

Have you got children? It will hurt more if they fall downstairs if you have no carpet.

If your filler is water-based, get some acrylic tube colors which are rich, deep pigmented colour sources and their carrier will be compatible with your filler product. Learn to colour the filler before application.

The tiniest bit of water on the stairs + someone in a hurry = broken bones. Carpet for stairs, always!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back