Wood for a curtain batten

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm a very amateur DIY'er and figure on dipping my toe in the water by putting up a curtain batten. However I'm not sure what wood I should be using, ie thickness etc...

Thank you in advance for any answers

Sponsored Links
That's the easy bit.....how about one length of 2" x 1" softwood which when dressed to square edge will have slightly less dimensions than that.
John :)

Hopefully none, but it really depends on what you are drilling into.....sometimes the window lintel behind can be really tough as they can be metal reinforced.
Either way, once you have drilled your length of timber, use a masonry bit and a hammer drill to venture further. If you have little experience, use a smaller masonry bit than the one you intend to finish with, just as a guide.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Really depends on where you start, makes sense to see what the house construction type is, you may have nothing to drill if the house is modern as you may have plasterboard and a void over the window. Using adhesive negates any possible drilling problems and requires no tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back