Hanging a door on Sliding rail kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of those sliding door kits so I could replace a curtain with a door that I can slide out of the way rather than hang the door and lose some space.
I need to put a batten up first as the holes do not marry up on the door frames. In the pic attached I've drawn in the batten (wont be green !) but worried that there will be no fixings between the left frame due to it passing the glass top.
The door will just be the standard 10kg 6-panel door. I'm not sure what fixings to use for the batten as I need it to be very stable and I can only screw it into the door frame.
My main question is what batten should I get, what thickness of wood, should it be quite thick so I can screw the steel frame into it ?
Also any particular screw width/length - I'm assuming the screw should only go into the wood frame and not through into the brick work ?
Thanks for any advice.
Worse case, I'll get someone to fit the door for me but I'd prefer it sliding.

Attachments

• rail.jpg
    rail.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
Because I can still have a cupboard or storage against a wall like i can with a curtain. Sliding doors slide....they do not open out.

Sponsored Links
We can't really recommend anything as we aren't aware of the apertute size, thereof we have no idea.

In my personal experience of being a Carpenter for many years, bifold internal doors are cr@p, they are difficult to use, but if you insist on having one then get a Carpenter in, it'll save you a lot of aggrevation.

No its just a hanging door that slides. Quite common now. But I may still get a carpenter or trades person in as its a hit out of diy comfort zone.

Not much detail about your kit but a door that light could get away with any reasonable wood, 3x2, 4x1 etc

I've put up a Herkules 120kg sliding door kit. Considering the weight of the door, the brackets to hold the track are surprisingly slender, yet they are fine for the job..
1710007970865.png

For the light weight door you have, you may be overly worrying.
As mentioned above, a 3x2 feels about right! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back