Wood for external door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a couple of external doors on my garage which need replacing.

I looked at wickes for legged and braced gates, and all the comments said they were carp, and should build it yourself.

So i was looking for some pressure treated planed square edge timber, but can find any.

I phoned the local timber yard and asked for 25x150 PT PSE and and 19x100 pt PSE, but they said it would have to be made to order.

What wood should i be using. ?

Cheers

A

Sponsored Links
Seem to recall you talking about incorporating aerogels into your doors.Pine is of low durability and also difficult to buy in clear sections. Cedar is a softwood species and is often used for jambs. I prefer a durable hardwood myself.

Hmm ,

Dont think i have ever mentioned my doors before..

Yes hardwood does sound like a nice idea, but they are for a garage. I am just looking for cheap treated timber not sure if it just needs to be sawn rather than planed??

A

decking timber is widely available and will do fine if you can tolerate grooves on one side. make sure your adjacent walls or whatever are well strong enough to take the weight of the gate with leverage. maybe add a separate concreted post and bolt it back to the wall, let them take it together. be prepared to revisit to adjust the hinges and lift the free gate edge when it inevitably sags in time.

Sponsored Links
2 by 2 frame
external grade ply wood 1/2 inch
if you want to make it look nice use a "v grove" bit in the router and a straight edge at ruffly 100mm centers
will last 5 -10 years if its painted well and quick and cheap

external grade ply wood 1/2 inch
no such thing as external grade ply, and do loads of work routing half of it out again to make it look like timber boards? strange.
it'll be lighter in weight i'll give you that. and if you only want it to last 5-10 years then away you go but seems like a lot of trouble to be doing it again so soon.

Hmm ,

Dont think i have ever mentioned my doors before..

Yes hardwood does sound like a nice idea, but they are for a garage. I am just looking for cheap treated timber not sure if it just needs to be sawn rather than planed??

A

have look round for larch, sweet chestnut or western red cedar cladding there are a few suppliers down your way and you could go with sawn and untreated if that suits.

marine ply is external grade, there is less chance of the finished door moving around (warping etc) i made a pair of doors 6 foot by 4 foot with groving the face took me a day to make and hang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back