Wood on patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am planning to lay a bit of timber as shown and use it as a flower bed. I was just wondering the best way to attach to the concrete? There won’t be much weight and was thinking about these clips as shown in the picture. Any advise would be great thanks

Attachments

• E6D23EFD-61EC-496B-A390-C0EE5F8F4886.jpeg
    E6D23EFD-61EC-496B-A390-C0EE5F8F4886.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Think I'd go for bigger angle plates than those (they aren't clips), maybe 1/2 to 2/3 the height of the timber.

thanks mate any idea what they’re called so i can get some on amazon?

Search for "Angle bracket"

For these I would use tool station over Amazon.

However, why does the wood need attaching to the concrete floor? I did not bother. With the weight of the wood and the soil the flower beds should not move.

Ps on my wood flower beds i lined it with DPM to reduce contact of soil to wood to slow rot, and to keep water in bed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
However, why does the wood need attaching to the concrete floor? I did not bother. With the weight of the wood and the soil the flower beds should not move.

Ps on my wood flower beds i lined it with DPM to reduce contact of soil to wood to slow rot, and to keep water in bed.
I gained the impression that the OP wanted to use the timber as the wall of the flower bed, in which case the weight of the soil might well push the timber out a bit. I agree that the DPM is a good way of slowing the inevitable rot and retain water, maybe with a bed of broken brick at the bottom?

Use 4 pieces of wood to make a rectangle. As suggested by SFK use dpm to prevent rot.

Joec, our pleasure - but now need closure :)
Are you planning to make a wall or a rectangular bed?

Like this. Just using some off cuts to demonstrate the red would be wood also

Attachments

• 11C886DB-B480-4E93-BDF8-CF508CEC48A9.jpeg
    11C886DB-B480-4E93-BDF8-CF508CEC48A9.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 44
Single height or more levels to make taller?

From my experience... Front panel will bulge out (over time) due to weight of soil.

To stop it I would not screw into slabs/ tiles though (as slabs / tiles might break).

Quick cheap fix is to cut a bit of wood same as your side panel and put it 'flat' on base/ floor in middle of bed and screw into it (from outside or use above angle brackets on inside). If a long bed do this at two or three points evenly spaced.

Strongest (and most expensive) version is to fill base with wood.

I typically use three or four (or however many offcuts I have that will fit).

Def use DPM.

Sfk

Last edited:
Why would you want to put a flower bed on top of slabs, slate by the look of them, so not cheap. It doesn't make sense.
Better to get a large planter or a set of large/small pots to arrange around the patio but take care to sweep underneath or the slabs will become stained over time.
If you're trying to do the job without spending so much money you could look around for used pots, like a chimney pot from a reclamation yard to give your planting height and variation in the planting scheme otherwise wind and wuthering will wear away the look of your patio.
Ceramic pots aren't cheap but you can spread the cost over time by getting one or two and build them up as you go.
Pots will also have the advantage of being easier to move should you wish to change the look of the layout and give your patio an eye-catching display through the year, with the right plants.

Last edited:
Thanks. They’re not slate unfortunately just standard riven flags that cost £2 each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back