Laying new patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've been reading up on this and think I've managed to work it out. Just wanted someone to tell me anything I've not thought of!

Currently have a "patio" which is effectively a huge lump of concrete and a raise cravy paved platform.

I want this area to be a patio (all the way across, including a bit of the "flower bed". I am proposing pull up the concrete, crazy paving. Apply 100mm of MOT type 1, whacker it and add more etc to make it level.

Then use sharp sand (or would a sharp sand and mortar mix be better) on top for 50mm and then lay the bricks/sandstone on top.

Does this seem like a sensible plan?

I propose the patio be at the height of the existing concrete slab as it will then be at the height of the bottom of the garage. Will then need to do some sort of step to garage but that should be ok.

Any comments, very much appreciated! :)

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
what bricks or sandstone are you laying?

Block paving is laid on just sharp sand, any type of natural stone or flags are laid on a mortar mix.

I laid paving slabs on a dry mortar mix and it was down ten years without any problems whatsoever.

I am lifting it all now as I want to revert back to lawn due to kids etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back