wood protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I sanded down the sticking area of my main exterior door, since its swelled due to all the wet weather recently, I would like to protect the wood again and since I didnt have anything last night, rubbed some Olive oil onto the wood...

I would like to know what I could use to protect the wood, bearing in mind I won't be able to leave the door open while it dries and the door fit is still pretty tight.

I'm thinking that it may be better to wait for a day when its dried out abit and opens easily, then I can protect it and close the door without fear of the door and door frame sticking to each other...

Thank you...

Sponsored Links
you don't want to use paint, then?

how is the outside of your door treated?

Hi, I sanded down the sticking area of my main exterior door, since its swelled due to all the wet weather recently, I would like to protect the wood again and since I didnt have anything last night, rubbed some Olive oil onto the wood...

I would like to know what I could use to protect the wood, bearing in mind I won't be able to leave the door open while it dries and the door fit is still pretty tight.

I'm thinking that it may be better to wait for a day when its dried out abit and opens easily, then I can protect it and close the door without fear of the door and door frame sticking to each other...

Thank you...
Maybe you need to take more off the door, should not bind when closed.

its varnished right now, but really needs to be stripped and finished off properly,

I just really want to buy myself some time by protecting the wood/ waterproofing the bare timber...

would danish oil work?

thanks

Sponsored Links
use white spirit to clean the surface and remove that oil, and apply whatever stain or varnish you intend to use on the door. A plane, or failing that a surform used with care, will remove the excess enough to stop the door binding, then you can treat the wood and fit draughtstrip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back