Wood Router

I've been quite pleased with my Trend T4 over the time I've had it, did everything I needed on a new build and very quickly taught me how much of a mess it can make of a door edge when not paying quite enough attention, but not such a brute as the 1/2 inch DeWalt my brother has so a bit more forgiving

Mine was about 60 quid..

Sponsored Links
Come on man, what sort of people do you work with??? :ROFLMAO:
Having amongst other things run a joinery shop for part of my working life, been in a partnership where we did (building) refurbs and been a site foreman where I had to work with anything I was sent, from the idiots to the chancers to the good guys, I think I've come across enough idiots in pretty much every trade at one time or another to differ with you on the value of "common sense". Despite all this, I'm certain I haven't seen everything, at least so far. So I work on the basis that nothing is foolproof - if only because fools can be remarkably ingenious! One thing I do know, especially from dealing with apprentices and non-English speakers, is that common sense is never a given - and that knowledge and training trump so-called "common sense" any day when it comes to power tools and machinery.

Having amongst other things run a joinery shop for part of my working life, been in a partnership where we did (building) refurbs and been a site foreman where I had to work with anything I was sent, from the idiots to the chancers to the good guys, I think I've come across enough idiots in pretty much every trade at one time or another to differ with you on the value of "common sense". Despite all this, I'm certain I haven't seen everything, at least so far. So I work on the basis that nothing is foolproof - if only because fools can be remarkably ingenious! One thing I do know, especially from dealing with apprentices and non-English speakers, is that common sense is never a given - and that knowledge and training trump so-called "common sense" any day when it comes to power tools and machinery.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this.

Update, I bought the makita rt0700 palm router, box 12 trend bits as well.

Sponsored Links
Good choice, nice little tool, very versatile. I still have one, although these days it is a backup and I use the cordless version (DRT50) instead. Very similar.

Excuse my ignorance, why is that better than the one that came with it?

@johnny2007 Err, why? It would be useful if you could inform the OP (and I think I understand your reasoning)

I've just spent some time on internet, my understanding is the flange acts as a ring fence which rests against a template for instance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My one didn't come with a guide
The RT700 should come with a guide bush, mine did. It really isn't that much use, though, because it is so small

The base you showed has a built-in 30mm guide bush - the main problem with that is that there aren't many manufactured jigs suitable for small router which require 30mm guide bush - 16mm is more commonly used, surely? That is the guide bush size required for the Trend hinge jig (in conjunction with a 12mm router cutter) and a number of other cheaper copy cat jigs. My own preference is for a baseplate which can accommodate a range of jigs - like the one below which will accommodate Elu MOF96/Trend T5/deWalt DW615-style guide bush (incudentally, that is a Katsu plunge base, not a Makita one, but they are almost identical and 100% interchangeable):

20230130_212836.jpg

The OP stated that he was on a budget, so I didn't think that getting into jigs at this stage, either home-made or manufactured - rather I thought it would be more important to learn the basics before tackling more advanced techniques. Sort of learning to walk before he tries to run?

I've just spent some time on internet, my understanding is the flange acts as a ring fence which rests against a template for instance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
No, you are right, but before going there maybe it would be a good idea to try learning the basics if how to use the router, plus a bit about the different router cutters on the market (and what they do)?

BTW the plus point of exchangeable diffwrent size guide bushes is that they offer a lot more flexibility

No, you are right, but before going there maybe it would be a good idea to try learning the basics if how to use the router, plus a bit about the different router cutters on the market (and what they do)?

BTW the plus point of exchangeable diffwrent size guide bushes is that they offer a lot more flexibility
I agree, but having built my own jigs for bigger routers in the years, I preferred a 30mm guide so to use them.
The ones I use the most are those I built many moons ago to fit hinges, 76mm and 100mm and locks.
The smaller router just makes lighter job especially when doing multiple doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back