Wood Router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to purchase a wood router for the first time.
Does anyone have any guidance on what I should look for and also any recommendations.
I'm looking to buy a reasonably cheap one not high end.

Thanks All

Sponsored Links
Lidl have/had them in at the minute, I bought one quite a few years ago, it was £30 at the time but think they're £45 now!

It's totally fine for messing about doing a bit of diy. Made a few nice signs with it using some lumps of hardwood.

in general buy small as your first router and play with it you must get used to it and most diy jobs will be a hand held say 600w type job
most will have a small trim router a mid range and progress to big bugger as in 400-700w a 900-1200w and a 1600 plus
do not get a 1600 plus as your first router as you need to learn respect for the tool iff you dont poo your self on using a router initially till you are used to it you are not respectful enough off the tool

Sponsored Links
Get the cheapest you can find , a set of routing bits and play with it.
Make shelves with round edges, profiles, cut holes, make a jig for some shapes to engrave consistently, etc.
Once you got the hang of it, go for a better one (I have had a de walt for 15 years).
What I'll suggest is to make sure it has 1/4 and 1/2 collets because a lot of nice profile bits are 1/4 and are cheaper than 1/2 inch.

Thanks for the replies guys, first job I was going to do some hinge recesses on a door and also use it to trim the door edge at bottom. Anything Up to 100 quid I was thinking price wise.

I bought one of these and it does the job

...first job I was going to do some hinge recesses on a door and also use it to trim the door edge at bottom.
For hinge recesses you will find almost all 1/2in router big, heavy and very cumbersome to use.

Routers of any size are unsuitable for trimming door bottoms - this is a task better done using a jack plane/power planer or a circular saw, straight edge and clamps (or, more expensively, a plunge saw and guide rail). I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying it is a potentially dangerous procedure and that there are far better and safer ways to do that job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a palm router for hinges. As per @JobAndKnock 's post it is light enough to use with one hand. Mine is a Makita that a guy in the pub gave me. I purchased a fence which I use for hinges.

The downside of my particular model is that it doesn't plunge (or have dust extraction). It is fine for small work like hinges or small profiles on the edges of timber or MDF though.

I use a larger half inch Dewalt 625EK for other tasks.

Perhaps you need to consider two routers? I appreciate that will be above your budget, but it will make your life easier. You could purchase both second hand if need be.

Thanks opps, palm router might be way to go for hinges. I didnt realise routers were so dangerous. What do you have to be careful of when using them as I have bo experience using one.

Routers dangerous???
How???
Unless you somehow you manage to take one of your hands off the handles and stick it underneath, how could such a tool be dangerous?
I've seen more people get injured with hand saws and chisels than routers.

Jobandknock advised it would be dangerous to use to trim a door edge. I have no idea myself as I have never used one.

Routers dangerous???
How???
Unless you somehow you manage to take one of your hands off the handles and stick it underneath, how could such a tool be dangerous?
Oh, so you've never seen a kickback? Never seen anyone overload a cutter which is too narrow for the cut and have the router push back? Personally, I think that recommending a 1/2in router to a rank beginner (sorry @Sonic70) when there are safer options is just irresponsible. As @big-all said - it is easier to learn the basics on a smaller router. Then progress.

Tell me, just out of interest, how do you trim door bottoms, then?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a rank beginner no need to apologise. I've used other power tools but never a router.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back