Wood stain without varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to redo a small hall way, it is natural wood floor boards (old), that have been stained no gloss/matt/satin finish. I need to remove some paint stains & want to redo the floor, all the stains I seem to see have a varnish.
Are there stains without?
Floor area about 3sq mtr

Sponsored Links
Search on line for "Wood dye" Rustins, Colron etc. :D

on a floor, with no varnish, it will wear away from foot traffic.

Why don't you want varnish?

Sponsored Links
Like the look of what is there (its just got paint on & needs a clean), its a 200 yr old property.
This bit of floor gets very little use & no use at all with shoes on.

Possibly some confusion with the terms here but either way a stain is just that - a stain that colours the wood's fibres - and provides no protective properties at all. Varnishes for floors are these days known as lacquers and these come in a variety of sheen levels - dead flat, matt, gloss etc. Given you've got such a small space, why not use a pigmented Hard Waxoil? Easy to apply, good range of tints and a level of protection that if you do ever damage, can be repaired. Different brands provide varying levels of resistance: Ciranova is outstanding as is Treatex and Fiddes. Given as you say its a residential, low traffic space, there are others like Blanchon that are less durable but are cheaper. Either way, make sure to sand the boards evenly on no finer than a 100 grit.

I decided to sand the floor & re-stain using Ronseal Dark Oak satin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back