wood stains wood oil and wood varnish whats the diffrence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
could you all tell me what all there jobs are becuase i have been reading books and they all seem to do the same thing. many thanks

Sponsored Links
Wood dye comes in water based and oil based..its thin and penetratrates the surface of the wood..it is not a finish as such...its just what t say it is...a dye...it has to be finished using clear varnish.

A stain is normally thicker and offers protection against the elements when used outside and quite durable when used inside..it comes in oil based and water based mediums and can also be opaque in its appearence...its easier to apply than ordinary coloured varnishes, but IMO tends to blot out the colour of the wood.

Coloured varnish is exactly what it says it is..ordinary varnish that has had a translucent colour added to it...similar properties to 'stain' but a bit hard to apply and not used on outsides normally.

thank you for your help. In the leaflets i have been reading they say stain is for outside use so would coloured varnish be manly used for indoors. many thanks

Yep..but id go for a wood dye and thenvarnish over finish myself..far more natural looking and no brush marks.

Sponsored Links
can you use wood dye over other stained wood? or do you have to get it back to the natural wood. thanks again

Back to the natural..if you use the oil based on on somehting that it cant sink into it wont dry or will run everything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back