Wood windows, 50's House, Condensation, should I put in trickle vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title, we have moved to a house, like the wood frames.
The double glazed units seem ok (1 or 2 need replacing), if a little thin compared to modern ones.

We are getting lots and lots of condensation, pools of it on the windows.
(See the photos)

Would you put Trickle vents in?
If so is this a DIY job, drilling holes, to make the slot and fixing the vent inside and out?
Anything else you would do?
Once the wood is dry and am going to sand and retreat to help protect with the pooling water.
I've also got some Spontex Drip Strips to help short term

We use the Bathroom extractor fan and keep that door shut.

Thanks

IMG_20171030_072021.jpg
IMG_20171030_072030.jpg
IMG_20171030_072034.jpg

Sponsored Links
What's the rest of the property got regards ventilation, any permanent vents? kitchen extract? assume you never dry clothes indoors?

that's a lot of water. Where is it coming from? I've only seen that much when there is a leak, or new plaster drying out.

Are your ground floors concrete, or wood? Have you got a water meter?

as foxhole says, Have you got a kitchen extractor? Leave it turned on overnight and see if it makes a difference.

Do you open the bedroom windows every morning?

Please don't tell us you drape wet washing indoors.

Water vapour is lighter than air so tends to rise through the house. Your water is downstairs so there must be a source. Feel under the radiators for a leak.

Hi

This is in the lounge, there are French doors through to a large open plan kitchen with no heating, as we haven't renovated that area yet.

1) We don't have any other ventilation, except in the bathroom
2) We have Dryer in the kitchen, which isn't plumbed in, so captures water in a jug. This does vent warm air into the room, kitchen/diner which may be moist.
3) No new plaster, we finished the room months ago
4) Suspended Concrete floors with wood parquet
5) No water meter
I left the heating on more last night and it was a dry morning, plus I used some sponge condensation strips on the window cills. Hardly any condensation

I am getting scientific about this, looking at when we use the dryer, when we shower with the door open (hopefully never), temperature and moisture in the air outside.

But I am tempted to fit some trickle vents

Sponsored Links
Think you've answered your own question. The dryer will not be helping, especially if that moist air is trapped inside.
Try to ventilate more, open windows, regularly.

Trickle vents can't hurt, if you are not a window opener!

IMHO - You definately have a problem which needs identifying and sorting before you worry about trickle vents.
Others have asked about drying clothes inside. I see you have a dryer in the kitchen - is the condesation worse after that has been used? I'd look to getting that to vent the hot air to the outside no matter what.
Leaks from the washing machine or dishwasher pumped waste?
Leaks from any of the sinks, bath or shower tray wastes.
Does the bathroom extractor fan actually extract (i.e. is not blocked or even run in reverse) and the pipes are continous to the outside - I've seen it where the outgoing pipe from the fan had been knocked off the spigot so the fan was venting into the loft.

Are the gutters blocked or damaged - incluing the downpipes. Drains and Gulleys clear and running well. Do they drain into Storm drains, Foul water drains or Soakaway? If a soakaway check that isn't blocked or full of muck.
Are all the external drain pipes undamaged? - run a rod through.

Is any sign of cracked or missing tiles or slates on the roof?

The house doesn't 'sit' over land drains - that will be dificult to determine. Could try land agents or farmers for info...

Looking at the state of the timber frames the previous reisdents had similar problems - surprised the surveyer didn't pick it up.

On the positive side it does look like the majority of the glazing units are still sealed as the pictures do not show condensation inside the DG units.

We've just had it re-roofed, so should be ok there.
I can't say about ground leaks, however the soil is clay so holds the water and is damp.
Wouldn't any exterior water issues affecting the windows be seen as damp in the house?

We bought the house after the sellers had passed on, it was well kept but needed a complete renovation, so any marks on the windows were noted, but just thought they need sanding and re-varnish.

We've only 1 unit to replace, which is good.
As they are old and I presume thinner, would there be any value in putting more modern thicker units in? Or not worth it.

I am now thinking of moving the condensing dryer into the garage.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back