Wood worm inactive?

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Adding some velux windows to a loft and noted the wee holes left by woodworm. None of the usual dust that goes with an active infestation but little patches of holes here and there throughout the loft. House is over 300 years old and has been renovated countless times over the years so this damage could be 100 years old. Holes are most dense around areas where there has been water ingress in the past.

Most recent work was done about 30 years ago and where this new timber is butted up against the areas where damage can be seen, there are no holes at all in the newer timbers.

To me this suggests that the beasties that did the damage are long gone but I'm not sure. I'll be treating the hole loft either way but, not having dealt with woodworm before, was curious to hear what people think.

Ta,

iep

Sponsored Links
lack of frass is a good sign. Hoover it all well and then you will observe any new evidence. Poke the timbers with a small screwdiver to see if they are hollow, soft or weak. Not a bradawl as that leaves a round hole which might look like insect damage later.

If the loft was well-insulated, so it gets very cold in winter, that discourages worm. In one old house I had, the worm damage was centred around the loft hatch because it was warm, and the bathroom floor because it was moist. Modern central heating dries out the wood beyond what the worms need.

Loft was not insulated until recently but I've had a good look around and can't find any frass. Given it a really thorough hoovering so hopefully new stuff will show up. Only issue is that it'll be boxed in with plaster soon so won't get much of a chance to watch before then.

I was taking most solace from that fact that the new timber (by new I mean 30 years old) has not been touched at all. Is that not as definitive as I thought?

Cheers,

iep

The common furniture woodworm has about a four year cycle. Its this time of year they pupate and then breed.
A single female can lay up to sixty eggs which form wood boring larvae in about three weeks and then they spend the next 3-4 years eating wood and crapping.

If only 20 females make it out next time thats the potential for over a thousand of the beasties.

Sponsored Links
Ok, but still no idea why they haven't touched any of the new timber?

Either way I'll spray the loft a couple of times and hope that does the trick.

Cheers,

iep

maybe the new timber was a pre-treated?

do any cut surfaces extra-well.

p.s.

you don't live in Surrey, do you? They have the extra-voracious long-horned beetle.

No, all the new stuff is untreated pine. However, all the new framing I'll be putting in will be pretreated and i'll double up the worst of the nibbled rafters after I have treated them so hopefully that will do the trick.

Cheers,

iep

you don't live in Surrey, do you? They have the extra-voracious long-horned beetle.

lets hope not,or you could end up wearing your roof.

No, Scotland. Might well be the cold has done for them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back