Woodblock flooring - sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has original woodblock flooring dating back to the 50's. The living area has until recently been the only exposed floor. This surface is waxed and past it's best. There are lighter and darker patches where furniture/rugs have been over the years. The colour is quite orange. Currently I apply traffic wax 1 a year. How can I get a more uniform colour?

Second issue. Dining room extended and we bought reclaimed wood block flooring which we laid in the extension. Obviously completely different colours (old floor orange in colour, extension dark brown and very dirty). We have hired a sander and sanded both floors so now back to pale finish. Advice needed on what we should seal it with. Is a laquer or wax better?

Sponsored Links
Lacquer doesn't need that much maintenance, but hardwaxoiled or waxed floors are better when you have little damages (like tiny or even larger scratches).
When you lacquer the floor and you scratch it, you scratch the lacquer, not the wood. After a while dirt etc will gather in the scratch and start to look dirty. The only solution then is the re-sand the floor, while with a hardwaxoil or wax floor you simple apply some polish or wax into the scratch and problem solved.
Another advantage of applying hardwaxoil or wax is that it is more forgiving when making small mistakes :D

Thanks for the advice. I've applied one coat of Osmo Hardwax Oil. Fantastic product and very easy to apply. Applying second coat tomorrow and will then buff up with my polisher. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back