Woodburner smelling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Had a new woodburner and new flue fitted about 4 weeks ago- it's great except when it's been burning for about an hour it starts to give off a really strong unpleasant chemical/painty smell- it's definately not a wood or smoke smell, it's got to the stage where we're a bit scared to use it in case the fumes are toxic!
Please does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Sponsored Links
bet its crap higher up the chimney burning off. or if you have been slow burning it, crap that has solidified nearer the top and dripping down.

Burn it really hot for a while with the windows open, see if the smell comes, then goes as its being burnt off.

A

bet its crap higher up the chimney burning off. or if you have been slow burning it, crap that has solidified nearer the top and dripping down.

Burn it really hot for a while with the windows open, see if the smell comes, then goes as its being burnt off.

A
Hi again- should that happen? We had a new flue, register plate, the works fitted and they fitted the woodburner in- we tried keeping it burning for a whole day with the windows open, but we are still getting the same problem.....

get the company back in who fitted it or call them and tell them its stinks, see what they suggest. I suspect your burning off some finish off the new flu..

I think if you burnt it hot for a whole day, this should have burnt everything off the inside..

??
You havent got a pigeon down it or something?

I had an owl down mine at one point, god job i heard the bugger before lightting it. Had a pigeon that werent so luck, bit to smoked to be tasty.

A

Sponsored Links
get the company back in who fitted it or call them and tell them its stinks, see what they suggest. I suspect your burning off some finish off the new flu..

I think if you burnt it hot for a whole day, this should have burnt everything off the inside..

??
You havent got a pigeon down it or something?

I had an owl down mine at one point, god job i heard the b*****r before lightting it. Had a pigeon that werent so luck, bit to smoked to be tasty.

A

LOL!
No it's definately not something cooking!
I'll get the fitters back because we really want to be able to use it!

Thank you for your advice

Shan

It's NEW so it will smell as the materials on the outside burn off. Just open the windows and burn it hot.

It's NEW so it will smell as the materials on the outside burn off. Just open the windows and burn it hot.
We've been burning it at least 3 times a week since we had it 4 weeks ago, and even kept in burning all day once- how much longer will it take to burn off the materials????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back