Wooden Backdrop Stands or Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

I was hoping you could help.

I'm not a DIY expert in the slightest form so was hoping one of you kind people could help.

I want to build 2 wooden stands or 1 complete frame as a backdrop frame. Similar to this:

http://www.chroma-key.com/background_stand_1_large.jpg

The problem is that I want to erect a plank of wood (2.29 metres) independantly. I'm unsure on how to make this stand stable.

How should I make the base?

I feel if I make this (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/430 ... 5aae09.jpg), the plank will topple easily due to its length.

Help me out with diagrams (images if possible) and measurements if possible.

In short, I want to make a backdrop stand. I want to make this stable as possible.

Thank you guys.

Sponsored Links
Because I have a lot of wood. I think it'll be much sturdier too.

Any ideas?

Also PVC piping is not cheap. :cry:

I would make a tripod similar to your image fabricated from box iron around an inner large box section (say 4"x"2) into which the vertical timber posts can slot.
And a V notch at the top of the posts for a cross member be it timber or steel.

Sponsored Links
The problem is that I want to erect a plank of wood (2.29 metres) independantly. I'm unsure on how to make this stand stable.

How should I make the base?

Are we to take it that this plank is a solitary piece of timber and not part of the frame to hold up the backdrop?
If so then your options are limited especially if you need it moveable. Static would be easier. It may be possible to cut a pocket into the floor and drop the timber into it , or you could fix angle brackets to the base of the timber to screw it to the floor and then (I'm assuming all of this will be inside) attach wires to the top to secure it to the ceiling.
A moveable upright timber of 2.29m would need a very large base attaching , I'd use a steel plate with a threaded 25mm rod welded to it and effectively screwed into the end of the plank about 600mm, but I feel it would still be a little wobbly and deffinately ungainly to move about.

Back