How do I stabilise a coat stand that keeps on falling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Hope everyone is keeping well. I'm hoping there's a smart home improvement expert (perhaps with a little knowledge when it comes to structures, balancing, weight, forces, etc) that can help me with a coat stand I recently purchased through Amazon. A coat stand that keeps on falling over!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OUJ56...=1432632054&sr=8-1&keywords=cities+coat+stand

Pic of coat stand in link above. Now, I know you get what you pay for and i appreciate that it may not be the best quality, but I'm a little gutted because I really like the look of it and I want it to work right! This was assembled by someone who knows what they're doing a (a builder by trade) and it was leaning over BEFORE any coats were hung in there. It can hold 20 jackets but with 5 on there, it keeps falling over. I have to spend about an hour swivelling all the 'signs' in the correct place and rearranging the coats just to get it to balance. It's not practical, every time i put a jacket on there or remove one, it topples over. I tried adding extra weight to the base but it still topples over. I'm sure there's a science to this. The telescopic pole is hollow - should I put sand or stones in there? Really, this product needs a tripod base I guess...I know this sounds petty but I really don't want to throw it away because it looks really cool...i just want it to stand properly. Any DIY suggestions to stabilise this? Thanks so much guys...

Sponsored Links
A builder is no more qualified to assemble it than a nurse, my son-in-law has 25 years building experience in property, up to the value of £35 million [one house] but he cannot fit a curtain rail or assemble a child's toy cart.
That said the coat stand is poorly designed and would only work if the base were extended or screwed to the floor.

Sponsored Links
add a heavy base
this can be a 2ft slab probably doubled up
or add a structure to the base to increase the base footprint by around 400%
another idea is cat gut or similar going back to the wall in a triangle at 45-60 % to give support
as said form over function :( :eek:

If you know any mechanics or have a helpful scrap yard you could slide some old brake discs over the shaft( it looks like it screws apart) & add weight to the base. You might have to paint them though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back