wooden block flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently purchased some second hand wood block flooring, possibly from a school hall or classroom. Any advice on laying? Blocks still have bitumen on underside.

Sponsored Links
I replaced some blocks in a parquet floor we have where the old fireplace had been but the concrete was left. Like you I got some matching blocks and bedded them into some really nasty black gunge (I am pretty sure that it was liquid damp proof course) it actually said on the tin that you could lay block flooring with it (I got it from Travis & Perkins)

One piece of advice is when putting in the last few blocks don't tap them down too hard or the only place for the said gunge to go is upwards through the gaps at the side. With the gaps being very small the pressure can be enough to get it several feet up the wall. :oops:

The end result was very good though and matched into the herringbone really well.

I had to remove the bitumen to get them level but its a thankless task. Best way I found was with an wide, old (fairly blunt) wood chisel but then I only had 60 or so to do.

Haggy said:
I am pretty sure that it was liquid damp proof course) it actually said on the tin that you could lay block flooring with it

It called "Bitumen Rubber Emulsion" adhesive,see this . I'm in the bitumen market which sell it on to the supplier's which add emulsion + additive to make it flexible.This products on the website have nothing to do with our supplier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back