Wooden car port with slate roof - distance from central heating flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm thinking of putting one next to the house. I'm imagining a sort of heavy timber "pergola-type" structure, but with an ordinary pitched roof, covered with slates to match the house. It'll be right next to a boundary, and somewhere between 3.5 and 4m tall, so I'm assuming I'll need planning permission?

Also, it will be on the same wall that has the balanced flue for the central heating, coming through it. It's an oil boiler, if that makes a difference? How close to the flue, can the nearest part of the carport be, please? (The car port will be open on three sides).

Attachments

• Site side view.jpg
    Site side view.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. The boiler was new in 1995, I was just wondering if the regulations had changed since then?

Why so high? Cant see there being a problem with that terminal with 3 sides open, I'd be more concerned about that window 300mm away and above (unless the window doesn't open)

Sponsored Links
Why so high? Cant see there being a problem with that terminal with 3 sides open, I'd be more concerned about that window 300mm away and above (unless the window doesn't open)
Well, I haven't drawn it yet, so I'm just guessing at overall height. If it's a lean-to, then it won't be as high. Obviously, I'd like to have full standing headroom under it, plus a bit, and then if I go for a double-pitched roof, I'd like to keep it the same pitch as the house, or it might look a bit odd. I can probably get it down to between 3 and 3.5m though. Maybe just under 3m, if I'm lucky.

And yes, the window DOES open! From the centre of the flue pipe (I'm not sure how the distances are measured in the building regs), to the corner of the window frame when open, is 608mm.

1684923681291.png

But yes, it does seem quite daft. That window is practically above the boiler though, so we never open it.

I had an e-mail from the local building regs chap, saying he couldn't see a problem with the roof being above the flue, so long as none of the material (roof beams, support beams, etc) were within 600mm of the flue, (which I'm sure they won't be).

Does anyone know whether the regulations mean the distance from the centre of the flue pipe, or is it to the closest edge of the flue pipe?

I've always understood the mesument is from side of flue to edge of window frame.
One thing that you should consider is at 28 years old your boiler is certainly in later stage of its life.
You will not be able to discharge a condensing boiler into your proposed structure.

I've always understood the mesument is from side of flue to edge of window frame.
One thing that you should consider is at 28 years old your boiler is certainly in later stage of its life.
You will not be able to discharge a condensing boiler into your proposed structure.

Ah, thanks, yes that's useful to know, and yes, the boiler has had a good innings! I'm in a rural area and we don't have gas, so it's an oil boiler too. One of the reasons for considering the car port, was that we think we'll be forced down the road of heat pumps at some point, but if we did get a new oil boiler, I guess I could buy one with a vertical flue, and just put it through the roof of the car port ?

Ah, thanks, yes that's useful to know, and yes, the boiler has had a good innings! I'm in a rural area and we don't have gas, so it's an oil boiler too. One of the reasons for considering the car port, was that we think we'll be forced down the road of heat pumps at some point, but if we did get a new oil boiler, I guess I could buy one with a vertical flue, and just put it through the roof of the car port ?
Yes absolutely, just check the boiler you end up buying can be fitted with the bends and tube length you need for the flue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back