Wooden Chair : Arm Loose .. no fixing points

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old wooden chair that has been in the shed for a bit too long.

Was thinking about painting it, or even just sanding and staining, but one arm is slightly loose.

There are no obvious signs of any fixings (screws) so I guess there are dowels where the arm joins the back and the side of the seat .. How do I remove the arm ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How do I remove the arm ?
If the chair is very old, any glue on the dowels is likely water-soluble. You could try to get water into the joints (wrap in wet towels over night?) to release the dowels.

upload_2021-3-13_21-16-16.png

Sponsored Links
Right, thanks for the images.

Suggest you allow the chair to dry out, bring it into the house keep it in a room for some time, any further Joints loosening of will become apparent.

As for a fix? joints will either be tenoned [unlikely] or as you suggest Dowels ?

If it were me, i would not try to dismantle, so long as the degree of movement on the joints is "Slight" If the movement is small, suggest using a Syringe to inject liquid glue between the different components.

You can inject the joint because they are loose, if needed a very, very thin drill will assist in getting the glue in to the joint.

Ken.

Last edited:
And, sorry about this.

You will need to "clamp" the joint / bits you have worked on, because of the difficult shapes, use rope to bind the bits together untill the glue sets.

KenGMac .. many thanks for your replies.
The movement is quite slight and I was going to check which way it is.
Mainly the handle is loose at the base. I am sure if the base was secured the movement at the back (where the arm joins the rear of the chair) would be minimal)
I check inside and lo and behold 3 screws. See extra pictures below.
Aghhh !!! one screw only and two holes

Now, even I should be able to fix the chair ... maybe some glue in other wide joints, then some decent screws in the two holes and that'll be it.

I'll probably just sand and paint the chair, it's a bit too far gone to consider staining etc.
Will get it covered too as I think it's a decent quality chair .. It's actually a Wylie & Lochhead chair

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back