Wooden door - options for 'whiting' (so you can see grain)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some doors in my house. Functionallty and structurally they are fine. However, I don't really like the quality/colour of the wood, and wondering about options.

I'd either like to go for a regular satin finish, but I recall a few years back seeing some doors that had what I think is called 'whiting'? Only results I can come up with in Google though are to do with fish! :)

I think my plan of action is to try this technique first on one door, and if I don't like it just go for normal paint. Thing is I don't know how to do the former - is it just chalk? Presumably you'd then have to seal it after?

Thanks

Marcos

Sponsored Links
What youre thinking of is 'liming'. Its a white/cream wax which you rub into the grain & buff off the excess leaving 'highlighted' grain which has the effect of lightening the overall colour..It only really works well on a wood with a pronounced grain ..
Another method we sometimes use is to lightly coat the wood with slightly thinned eggshell (solvent/oil-based ) then to wipe it off before dry with a turpsy rag , this can leave enough white residue (or any colour you chose)to give the effect of wax liming ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back