Wooden fence on brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've read quite a few posts on this and one conclusion is not to attach the fence posts to the wall but bury them in postcrete/whatever in the usual way.

We have a 3ft brick wall marking the boundary and I was thinking that if I put the posts in flush with the wall then I could attach 3ft panels to the top of the posts or buy 6ft panels.

So I guess the questions are are either of those methods acceptable and which would look better? Or is there some other way I have thought of that would be better? Also should I fix the posts to the wall (in addition to being burried) ? Its a single skin brick wall 3ft high.

As ever, thanks in advance for someone who knows more about this than I do's time.

Sponsored Links
Mike,

I have done this in my garden where there is a retainng wall, holding my garden in from the neighbours lower wall.

I concreted the posts in below the foundation of the wall and then built a close board fence using rails and planks, not pannels.

In my opinion, if you can offset the pannel so that it sits above the wall, rather than to the side, this will look better. if you put a 6 foot pannel against the wall dirt and debris will get trapped between the wall and pannel and cause it to rot faster as this will hold damp against the wood. There is also a free standing section of wall, I did not attach the wall to the posts, if the fence does go, I hope this would save the wall.

I assume when you say flush, you mean against the face of the wall and not in line with it?

you will also need to cut the foundation of the wall to get the flush up against the wall, but this is easy enough to do with the correct tools.

Hope this helps... Andy

Hi Mike,
Definitely would advise against attaching the fence to the wall. We had a fence secured to a strong retaining wall - it acted like a sail on a stormy night and pulled the wall over.
As part of the rebuild, the new fence posts are being concreted in adjacent to the wall - might not be quite as pretty, but definitely more sensible.

is this a rear fence and away from the public highway or front fence

Sponsored Links
A single skin wall 3 ft high will take almost no abuse before collapsing. Do you mean single skin as in 4'' wide or 9''? A 9 inch wall is much less risky to do as you have planned.

I think even putting posts against it but concreted into the ground will be a risk on a 4 inch wall as there will still be a slight sway in high winds.

If it was me i would concrete in your posts about 1 inch away from the wall then attached a piece of 2-3'' timber at the top where your 3ft panel will go and then your panel to that.

This will project the panel out over the wall to create a nice flush-ish front.

It will look a little weird from the back though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back