Wooden floor floating? over concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a first floor that is concrete and wish to "cover" with T & G boards - new pine, unless I can find some old ones!
1) Do we I down a lay down a mat or sheet similar to those used with laminate flooring?
2) Should the floor be "floating" i.e. without any fixing to the concrete?
3) Should I glue the T & G.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Hi disclosure

Installing T&G boards 'floating' on concrete/screed needs a DPM and sound-insulation (there are 2-in-1 products available). Depending on the width of you area you normally can install the boards safely floating.
Use PVAC wood glue in the bottom part of the groove, glue the whole length of the groove, not just some points.
If your area is wider then say 5 - 6 meters you better stick the boards down using a suitable adhesive (Lecoll or even Sika).

Hope this helps.

Thank you
Should I leave the timber in the room for a few days before I lay it?
Is it a problem to lay in Winter / Spring when the timber is at it's max expanded state?
Mike

To first question: YES. Normally 3 - 4 days would do, depending on the conditions of that room (normal c.v and ventilation etc).

Second question: now here we have a typical mis-understanding. In winter the air-humidity is 9 out of 10 times the lowest. It might increase during a very wet Spring, but then in late Spring, when the outside temperature has been 'vaporising' the rain into the air. (We keep a record of the temp/humidity on a daily base to spot 'trends))
As long as you take some precautions any season is fine to install wooden flooring. When you know the humidity is low, you leave wider expansion gaps to avoid problems in the 'wetter' seasons (Summer - Autumn). When you know the humidity is higher you DON'T keep smaller expansion gaps ;)) 10-15mm gaps are normal, depending on width of the room and width of the (Solid) planks.

Sponsored Links
You also want to check the concrete floor with a straight edge for being flat and if that is not the case it should be levelled off .

Hi -

Just about this post (if anyone is still reading!)....I've just put down T&G floorboards on a concrete floor, but I've glued battens down over the DPM and the insulation and then nailed the floorboards to the battens. Whats the difference between this and just having it floating? Everything else I have read said you must use 2 inch battens....

Main difference?
Battens is more work and more money spend ;))
If your underfloor is level enough and your room (for solid flooring) is not wider then 5 - 6 meter, there is aboslute no reason not to install T&G flooring floating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back