Wooden floor in old bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just about to lay a Wickes solid wooden floor in an old bathroom.
The boards are solid and do not clip together so are glued along all edges.
The bathroom walls are hard to describe but there are, for example, stud walls without a floor plate. Net result is that there just is not a consistent straight edge where one can pack from with cork expansion pieces. In most places there is just void looking through to the skirting in the next room.
The long starting wall is the worst.
I plan to still start from this long wall but to screw the first row down with the screws positioned within the overhang shadow of the wall. The screws will not be visible once the final tile is fitted to the wall, down to the new floor. I will probably oversize the holes that the screws pass through the boards and fit a washer on top to provide some opportunity for a little movement.
As the boards are glued, then the whole floor is effectively one sheet anchored about the screw points I have just described.
The bathroom is small at 2x3 M max so expansion requirements for the floor will be small.

Do I hear any calls of 'Dont do that because..' or does anyone have any other suggestions.

It's all about the existing edges !!

andytw

Sponsored Links
Do I hear any calls of 'Dont do that because..'
For starters: DON'T USE CORK STRIPS TO FILL YOUR EXPANSION GAP, specially not in bathrooms - never ever really.

Don't screw your floor by screwing it down, not even one board or row. It will restrict any movement - specially in bathrooms - when it wants to expand

And as last one: don't go for solid floorboards in bathrooms, wood-engineered boards are much more able to cope with the higher humidity you'll have there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back