Wooden floor on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys, need your expertise here........

We are moving to a new build home next month and we have solid Oak flooring for the downstairs.
As I say, It is a new build and has concrete flooring downstairs, and we want to floor the whole downstairs.

What is the best option for installing on a new concrete floor..??

Is it onto a DPM with foam built onto it or do I need to cover the concrete with a liquid DPM then a DPM with foam built in..?

All help appreciated chaps........thanks.

Sponsored Links
First: check the moist content of the concrete floor. We had to postpone a wood-engineered floor in a new build home, where there's hadn't been any ventilation for two/three weeks after all the building work was done. Moist content of the concrete floor was still too high.

Then, if the floor is dry and sound you don't need a liquid dpm. If you want to install your wood floor floating, use combi-underlayment which contains a dpm.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it as you seem to have the knowledge on this one.....

In another thread you posted a link to the BWFA, I have been on and made contact with one of the approved fitters on that site and he wants to measure the moisture content before starting, which makes sense..........he stated we should then cover the floor with whatever resin or coating is required then glue the floor down to the concrete........this sound standard..??..............he has also quoted £20 Sq, Mtr for these works..again, sound normal..?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Methods vary per company, per experience, per training even.
We normally install most of our floors floating, others glue them down. As long as it is done correctly after the correct preparations are taken it's fine.
And for prices, each company etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back