Damp Concrete Floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've spent a lot of time and money doing up a 150 yr old cottage. We put an oak flooring in two of the adjoining rooms downstairs and this was laid on top of concrete on batons. One of the concrete floors had a dpm I put in, but this got compromised by the flooring company (I now know!). The other concrete floor was there already, but I suspect has no DPM.

A damp company has taken the wooden floor out because it was all found to be rotten and we have quite a bad damp problem. They now say both concrete floors need to be dug up, DPM, new concrete then new floor.

Is there another way? What would happen if we just put plastic on top of the existing concrete and then floated moisture resistant flooring on top of that? Whilst I understand that ideally it's a new conrete floor, I can't help thinking that the house has stood like this for 150 years and maybe we're going overboard?

Any experience/thoughts greatly received - it's not a happy household this end!

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about all your troubles - sounds like a nightmare!

Can you explain how a DPM was compromised by the flooring company? How thick is the concrete? They shouldn't have been screwing into it to lay a floor. Or are you saying you put a DPM on top of the concrete before the floor was laid and they went through it?

On what grounds have they said the concrete needs to come up? How big is the area you are talking about?

You can get Membrane paint which is often used by flooring companies to stop damp coming through to a surface, but I would imagine there is a reason for them suggesting you replace the concrete.

Maybe have a talk to Kingfisher, who produce a range of paints and other damp prevention products.

The problem with laying a DPM or paint and then a new floor is that the pressure and probably movement will likely wear it down and compromise it over time. Always better to prevent the damp in the first place than to dry and stop it afterwards - if it has been enough to rot the floor, I would be worried about throwing good money after bad with a new floor on top of the existing concrete.

Have you had a second inspection from anyone? Have you looked at your insurance policy?

They drilled through the floor far enough to breach the DPM below the concrete - and no it shouldn't have been done !!

2nd opinion is coming around on Wednesday, so I'll raise the paint idea then - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back