Wooden flooring quality.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How important is the wear layer thickness on engineered wooden flooring? I am considering some "Florence laquered light Oak" flooring from a large UK outlet but there are a number of comments on the web site relating to the 2mm wear layer.
I can afford a higher quality flooring but I am struggling to find anywhere else doing the colour and style that I want.

Sponsored Links
It is really a "sanding " layer. The surface will go long before you have worn 2mm off.

It tells you how many times it can be saned before you sand through the top layer.

Also consider the finish of the flooring, if it is Lacquered or Oiled and what quality products they are finishing with. Good quality finishes can add years of life to any flooring.

Anyone selling these products should be able to give these details.

Good Luck

The wear layer does affect the hardness, but for domestic situations of light wear it generally doesn't matter to much if it is only 2mm.

Sponsored Links
I did the flooring a bit of a disservice, the layer is actually 2.5mm! The flooring is for light domestic use so I am not too worried. In all honesty, when the day comes that it needs sanding, I would probably be ready for a change anyway. It is floating, lock together flooring so it would be easy enough to lift.

Can't understand why you are having problems with your decision to replace or restore your wooden flooring. You have two choices, new wood floor or wood floor restoration.

Wood floor sanding is less expensive, the newly sanded floor can be stained to your preferred colour, and it will look like it has just been laid if your wood flooring contractor is experienced.

Alternatively, if cost was not an important consideration - you could rip-up the old floorboards, and lay a completely new wood floor.

Good luck with the project.

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back