Wooden floors in flats being renovated upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've enjoyed a peaceful few years at my current residence - a large detached house with five flats in.
The guy upstairs has decided to renovate and sell the two flats he owns which are directly above our flat. He's got a builder in on a profit share who is attempting to turn them around quickly and on a budget and sell them for him.
It turns out he is planning to put wooden floors down in all the rooms and isn't going to bother with insulation underneath i.e they would be laid directly on the floorboards. When I spoke to the owner and explained it would make it very noisy for us living below, he didn't seem that bothered and said it was up to the builder.
I haven't spoken to the builder yet but I suspect he doesn't give a rats arse as well. What are my options here? All the owners of the flats are leasehold but we all own a percentage share of the management company which own the freehold. We would be the only ones directly affected so I doubt I could get anyone else to voice their concern.
Also what type of insulation is best for minimising the noise?!

Sponsored Links
mention to him that you wouldn't like to fall out with him over it, since a neighbour dispute has to be divulged to any potential buyer and will reduce the value of the property.

It isn't up to the builder, he is just a hired hand doing what the owner pays him for.

This kind of thing ought to be included in the terms of the lease, have a read through. Very often hard floors are not permitted and occupants are required to have carpets.

IMO it is useful to send, and keep a copy of, a letter to the owner. You may need it if things escalate.

(many people would refuse to consider buying a property with an unresolved neighbour dispute)

The only problem is the builder plans to sell them privately by sticking a sign up outside rather than use an estate agent. I wonder what the legalities are of diclosing a neighbour's dispute in this situation?!

Also, I was wondering if anything in the new Part E Building regs is inforceable? I noticed a section about "soundproofing solutions to meet part E building regs".

Sponsored Links
it is still legally required, and it is the vendor's responsibility, not the agent.

Maybe you could put up your own sign

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back