Wooden frame extension Permitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about building a side extension to my living room, something like a Dormer or a Garden Office. Screed flooring with insulation, insulated stud wall with wooden panels on the outside and a flat roof, big patio door.
Then break a door in the wall of my living room to create an entrance to the extension.

Is this even allowed, to have a wooden frame extension? Do I need a planning permission for this? Technically it is like a garden office?

I live in a detached bungalow, see attached plan.

extension.png

Sponsored Links
You can build a timber frame extension, however as it's attached to the house it will be classed as an extension and so will need full Building Regs approval in anycase.

As to whether it needs planning permission or not have a read here for a rough guide: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/extensions/planning-permission (though if your existing house is not clad in timber that in itself would mean it required planning permission) and then pages 10-32 of the following document for a more thorough guide but there's too little content in your post to comment further: https://assets.publishing.service.g...cdb2c9e9/190910_Tech_Guide_for_publishing.pdf

You should check your house has all of it's permitted development rights in place and is not in a Article 4 area or other oddity that may restrict some things.

BTW just because it's timber framed does not mean you can build it off the patio, it will need a proper foundation and a floor just like any other extension.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back