wooden lean to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody thanks in advance for any advice, now here’s my thing
I am about to build my first wooden lean to (its for my patio are in the garden), it will fasten to the back of my house and I want some sort of see through removable panels all round so on the cool days we can still sit there even if it’s a bitty windy but on warmer days we can take them off or hinge them open to have a little bit of a breeze, so any ideas on this in general would be great,

Now my main thing is I was thinking of a Perspex roof and I am not sure how to put this up with a slope to drain the water the roof I want to be permanent the size of the whole project is going to be 5m wide 2.5m in height at the house and 3m out,

If anyone has built anything like this or has some photos I would really appreciate that thanks.

maybe I have not made myself clear but I basically want to know the best way to build the frames for the whole project .spacing’s for the roof etc. and how to fasten the roof to the house with a slope for drainage without leaving room for leaks, it’s the slope that most concerns me as if I was going to do a flat roof this would not be a problem

Sponsored Links
I would look on ebay/gumtree for some cheap 2nd hand french type doors, this could save a lot of work, and make a framework to suit.

If you want the roof to let light in get some good quality corrugated opaque plastic/fibreglass roofing sheets. The roof purlins are normally spaced at 3-4ft but it will depend on the sheets used

If I've understood your plan correctly, you're intending sloping the roof towards the house? Wouldn't it be better the other way round?

no it will be sloping away from the house dont want to damage the brick work and want to add some propper drainage hopefully, :D

Sponsored Links
Another idea is, you often get basic 2nd hand conservatories for sale cheap, if you got one about the size you want it could save a bit of work

the thing is with a conservatries I won’t be able to open it up on very hot days, I am thinking of a waist height surround most the way round and that above waist height can be fully opened on hot days and keep the waist height surround so it can have good air flow and feel its outside but then closed up when there is a cool breeze/wind but get the heat, today was probably a good example for a warm day behind glass/plastic/Perspex, round our way, of a day you would keep it closed but still use it. Plus it’s got to be classed as a temporary structure

Also should I bury the posts with concrete or would it be ok to use theses metal thing to put posts in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back