Wooden or UPVC??

"As an alternative view, it needs to be stated that plastic windows are not maintenance free and do not last for ever. Plastic degrades just like any other material and many plastic windows need replacing after a couple of decades or even sooner. And they're difficult to repair.
It's also worth saying that plastic windows just do not suit older houses, and by removing original windows in favour of plastic units you can severely devalue your property. They are not the magic bullet they are often made out to be. "

Both Duncan Wright and Adam Frankling believe that the public – the discerning public at least – are now turning away from plastic, and going back to wood. “Every few months, timber manufacturers are seeing increased sales, while plastic window sales are falling,” Frankling says.

The move back to wooden doors and windows has also been given a massive shove by TV makeover experts such as Colin and Justin, who shudder in theatrically camp fashion at uPVC which, they say, devalues a period property by at least £12,000.

“And it is a fallacy to believe uPVC lasts for ever,” says Duncan Wright. “The oldest plastic windows, installed about 20 years ago, have now had it. Plastic degrades after a time and goes mottled. uPVC windows and doors have to be replaced; they cannot be repaired.”

Adam Frankling disagrees that plastic front doors are easier to open than wooden ones. “They have to contain metal, so are actually more unwieldy and difficult to open than wooden doors. And plastic doors on old properties are beyond hideous.”

The main issue continues to be the price. “It is true that plastic is cheaper initially,” says Frankling, “but in the long run, timber is cheaper because it lasts for ever.
“And it adds value to your property rather than taking it away.”

Sponsored Links
Our estate agent said with our new windows and doors, we can expect 15-20% value increase even in this climate.
Just because you have timber instead of upvc windows? 20% my ar*e! :rolleyes:
does seem a bit much! but then i can't actually see him saying it above?
i would have thought maybe maximum of 5,000 or 10,000 for a really big house. that would be for double glazed wooden windows in new condition i would have thought. although spme might not mind about the single glazing i suppose

see 2nd post for wood window alliance

there are manufacturers of top quality wooden windows that do not cost an arm and a leg. getting a decent joiner to fit them may be harder. most window fitters will want to sell you their product, unless you are planning to DIY? bays can be very fiddly.

Very interesting quote posted there. I do prefer the look of the wooden items. Mines only a 1930s house but its such a shame when I see people takin sash windows our of victorian properties and replace then with UPVC units that simply open, it seems to ruin the lines of the house when you compare it to one with original windows.
I was ignorant until recently as I didnt realise that wooden windows could be as secure if not more than UPVC and double glazed units were also available.

Sponsored Links
Chill,

For some reason my last post has been removed.
Pm me and I can put you in contact with the same company who supplied and installed windows in our house, 1930s cottage, not listed but in conservation area.

James Norton

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back