Wooden window treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Can anyone advise me on how to treat wooden windows? I have relatively new (about 3 years old) wooden double-glazing units and I would like to treat them before they start to weather too badly.

I'm also thinking of replacing some other single-glazed windows elsewhere. uPVC windows seem more efficient but wooden ones look so much nicer in my opinion. Can anyone advise on the pro's and con's of each?

Cheers,
Matt

Sponsored Links
It depends a bit on what sort of wood it is and if it has been treated before. If it's oak you don't need to do anything except enjoy the appearance of weathering oak. Or you could coat it with linseed oil if you prefer that sort of look. If it's larch or Douglas fir then linseed oil paint is your best bet. If it's anything else...oh well, never mind, usebetter materials next time. There's some stuff on this topic on my website at http://www.biffvernon.freeserve.co.uk/intro.htm a small proportion of which you might find helpful or at least amusing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back