Wooden Power Rack for outdoor gym

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm about to start building a power rack that was inspired by this design:
homemade-power-rack.jpg

But I need to use it in the back garden since there's no room in the house. This is my design to make it as cheap as possible:
Any feedback on weak points would be appreciated.

The timber is from here:
http://www.diyclick2buy.com/category/construction/structural-timber/
I'm going for the 4x2 planks, is this suitable for this project? what can I apply to it to protect it from rain and moisture?

Total cost of timber has come up to £59.84
Brackets from Ebay listing £16.50
Steel tube for pull ups and safety arms (not shown) from this Ebayer £32

Cheers

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Looks like a 17th century racking device for dishing out torture.

But yes it looks strong enough.

Thank you Norcon. What do you suggest I treat that timber with? It will be left outdoor and will face all kinds of weather. Is Thompson's Water Seal or Cuprinol good enough for this?

Sponsored Links
i personally would go for other than joinery [interiour ]timber
treated smooth/cls/other graded smooth ish timbers will be around half the cost off interior timber

I'm nervous of using treated (tanalised??) timber as I've read in a couple of places that the chemicals can be harmful. The timber that I'm planning to buy is £1.47/m 4x2, is that unreasonable?

I'm itching to start building this but I'm not feeling confident about my choice of materials and the whole job in general.

I think I'll make the order tomorrow...

go down your local timber merchant or wood yard and talk it through with them :D

I'm nervous of using treated (tanalised??) timber as I've read in a couple of places that the chemicals can be harmful. The timber that I'm planning to buy is £1.47/m 4x2, is that unreasonable?

I'm itching to start building this but I'm not feeling confident about my choice of materials and the whole job in general.

I think I'll make the order tomorrow...
Nothing dangerous in using tanalised timber unless you plan on eating it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back