wooden retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i was wondering if i couls ask for your help

next doors garden is higher than ours by about 1 metres (dont know why) and there is no fence the land just slopes into our garden i am planning to build a wooden retaining wall across and wondered if anybody could tell me type of wood to use at a reasanable cost. the lentgh of the garden is around 10 metres or so any help would be much apreciated thanks aaron

Sponsored Links
Sleepers would likely be the simplest - with reclaimed oak likely be the cheapest option down that path.

You could use RSJ's as vertical supports to drop the sleepers into horizontally or use more sleepers inserted vertically which you secure the horizontals to - a bit like super sized fence posts.

If the treatment of reclaimed sleepers is a concern, then consider either untreated hardwood (heavy and more expensive) or new treated softwood ones (bit more expensive than reclaimed). The new softwood are extremtly straight which makes them well sited to wallk construtions, however they can look a little clinical compared to reclaimned with more character.

Yeah.. Wooden fencing will be solution for this but I am not sure about the best suitable wood for this..

Sponsored Links
Might be ok in Australia, but in the uk it stays wet for months in the winter. Wood will degrade and need replacing, perhaps after not many years.

there are some very good durable hardwoods available in Australia, but it is quite different from what's on the market here, you need to take local advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back