Landscaping quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My garden in a new build home currently slopes by approximately 60 cm in the latter 3 metres of a total of 7 metres in length (the first 4 metres is relatively flat. The garden width is 10 metres. Therefore I've had a quote from a landscaper to basically level it off with additional top soil and add some support. He says it wont need a retaining wall as the mass of additional soil won't be that much. He plans to insert wooden poles at the rear of the garden at the existing wooden panel fence and then attach wood planks to the poles to support the additional soil. He estimates he will need 2 to 3 tonnes of topsoil to level it off.

He's quote me £1100 for the job. Is this quote fair? This doesn't include turfing.

Sponsored Links
If you are unsure, get another 2 quotes and go with the one you are most happy with, not necessarily the cheapest.

Does he/she not do turfing or why did he/she not quote for it? Best to know the full price before you start, far less complicated.

is there easy access to the rear of the house? Could materials be delivered straight into position for example.

It does sound pretty high but i can;t see it and the access so it may be fair. Best to get a few more quotes as mursal advised.

They can access the driveway which is next to a small gate in the garden. So guess they would have to wheel barrow the topsoil through.

The developers will be paying for the turfing as this had already been agreed.

Sponsored Links
Is he actually planning to sink new bits of wood that will be concreted in for this wooden retaining wall, or just fix it to the existing fence posts? I would think at 600mm of soil you're in the ballpark where a block wall with a foundation would be better.

A ton of soil will only cover about 10-15m sq at a depth of 50mm so I assume if he's using 2 or 3 tons he'll be putting something else (not soil) to make up the other 500mm in depth to bring the garden to the right height.

I've got some more information on the quote. The landscaper will use whatever amount of top soil needed to make it flat... Could exceed 10 tonnes. The supporting wall will be built using tanalised wood and fixed onto additional posts which will be concreted into the ground. Does £1100 seem ok?

Cheers

Now you're talking 10 tons, yes it does seem reasonable. That's a lot of shoveling and barrowing or hundreds in hire costs for a mini digger and power barrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back