Badly draining Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought my house about 4 years ago and the previous owners had just laid a new lawn, it all looked good, of course I moved in on the summer and everything was freshly laid. A couple of months later I soon found out why.

Underneath the turf they had put about 1-2inches of good quality top soil, under this was the heaviest clay soil i've ever seen, i've had gardeners and landscapers out to look and they all say the same. So what I did about a year ago was hired in a digger and excavated about 2 foot of this clay soil and got rid of it. This left a nice flat surface of clay (slightly sloping towards the house) I then dug out some drainage channels and linking into the storm drain, lined the drainage channels with some weed supressant membrane and filled with gravel and drainage coil. Then bought in what I though was good quality top soild, about 13 tonnes of the stuff and spread it all over the back garden, it was a total killer.

Thing is the topsoil I bought in wasn't the best of quality (got a landscaper to have a look and he says it's clay soil but not that heavy) and is still holding water (although it does drain eventually a 1-2 days after the rain has stopped but can be quite squelchy (if thats a word) under your feet for about a week, previously it was never dry)

The lanscaper recommended mixing sharp sand into the topsoil to aid the drainage, would anybody know if this is good advice? If it is, when spreading the sand should I use a rotovator to mix it in with the top soil or should it just be placed on the surface? I recon I need about 5-6 tonnes of sand to do the job, I plan to seed a lawn once done.

Sponsored Links
yes it is good advice, however i would use a mix of sharp sand (washed to remove the salt) and ground conditioner (basically organic material). It needs to be rotovated into teh soil to help break it all up and improve the drainage.

Sorry to bring back an old post, I added sharp sand and organic material to my garden and rotovated it in, and it worked :D cant believe it, first time in 3 years I now have good quality grass growing.

Over the past 2 days however the rain has been pretty much non-stop where I live, and the lawn is flooding in areas, once the rain dies off this flood water drains away within a couple of hours and the ground is pretty much back to normal in a day, sorry for being stupid, i've never actually had good draining soil so don't know much about it but is this normal? Or should the ground not be flooding at all?

The garden is pretty much a flat surface, i'm thinking this is why the water is pooling rather than running off. I think this is one of those things, you can tell your getting old when your soil drainage is making you happy!?!

Sponsored Links
you aint going to get miracles. the water takes time to percolate through, as long as its gone in a few hours then thats pretty good going

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back