Garden levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to remove my rear lawn in September and re build the whole area as it is un even, bumpy and slopes. Having had a garden room built and installed a new patio this year the area that the garden drained down to is now a patio so the garden just floods and as its a clay base it stays wet for weeks.

So how do i do it.

The garden is approx 12 mtr wide by 10 mtr long and runs down hill from top left of garden to bottom left with a fall of say 0.5mtr in 12mtr.

My idea is to remove all the grass and skip it, import tonnes of topsoil and lay new turf with a fall to the trees i have installed at the back of the garden.

Now do i do as i have said or could i just rotovate whats there and bring in topsoil to level ???
Or could i just pile topsoil on whats there already and lay new turf on top of that ????
Got a lot of time to think about this one plus i'm currently building small walls around the garden to hold the soil at the new level
?

Sponsored Links
just piling topsoil in a slope away from the house wont work because it'll drain tgru that and will run over the old clay base as before. Do all you say but also install a strip drain to divert water away from the patio.

Cheers,
Excuse my ignorance, but a strip drain ?
Plus would it be a good idea to mix in some sharp sand with the topsoil > If so, are there any guidelines as to the amount

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back