Wooden Staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Apologies if some think this should be in the floors, staircases, etc forum but having looked at that one i thought my question was more relevant to woodworking.

I was just wanting to ask how complicated making a staircase is for a competent DIYer. At most, I would like to try one with two 3-4 kite turns (open string on one side). Ive read what i can on the internet and some places seem to think its something that even experienced chippies struggle with whereas others say that as long as you measure and plan well its not that hard.

I was also wondering whether the jigs (by the likes of Trend, etc) make the process any easier.

If you think its possible, I would also be grateful if you could recommend some reading on how to go about building staircases. I found one site on the internet which made it pretty clear and relatively simple (but it was for a straight closed string staircase without turns).

Thanks a lot!

Z :)

Sponsored Links
well i wouldnt but thats me, :LOL: last time i built a staircase was approx 20 years ago,
fair play to you if you take it on.
but why not get a joinery firm to do this for you?
remember 1 cock up (and no doubt in the middle of the string :( )will waste materials and your time.

i wouldnt buy a jig as they are so easy to make
now a jig can be awkward if you dont what your doing
the point being you need the same skills to make the template as you do to make the string
so if you cant make a template in 40 mins you not up to standard for cutting the string or the more complicated newel post

tools essential for your stairs
quality router and cutters £250 minimum
table saw £150 minimum
chop saw £150
50-£100
gouges
chisles
sliding bevel
twin pin marking gauge
combination square

I ended up making a staircase on a job a while back now. For some reason the site agent wasn't willing to have one made and so asked me to do it out of 6x3 4x2 and 18mm ply. There was the lowest flight with about 15 steps between two walls, a half landing, 3 more steps, another landing and then the topmost flight again with some 12-15 steps.
I tried to argue against doing it but my pleas fell on deaf ears. In the end it wasn't contructed using routered strings, 6" being my deepest timbers, it had triangluar timbers cut to fit on top of the 6x3 which supported the treads and risers. I was also dragged off to do numerous other jobs at the same time and was surprised how well the job turned out.
I had to be very careful with measuring and cutting especially with the risers after all as little as 1mm of error on each one would have meant 33mm at the top either too low or too high. As it was it ended just slightly high on the last tread which was lost when the stairs was tiled.
Not the best way to approach things in my opinion, I'd recommend gregers advice and get someone in especially if you've never done this type of thing before.

Sponsored Links
Just my opinion, but don't listen to the doubters. The main problem with any job is that little voice in your ear telling you you can't (and tradesmen protecting their territory). If you think you can, you probably can. It will be cheaper to have to buy all the materials two or three times than pay a joiner, and think of the experience you'll get. Your own time is free.
Vonspritz

I'd certainly give this a go.. just read up plenty and triple check all your calculations when you set out. Once you have your overall rise and goings divided up for steps.. you can calculate the third distance (hypotenuse) and use a calculator to work out centers from that.. plot those onto your stringer and you won't get any cumulative errors. Plenty of ways to skin a cat and you can support the treads and risers without routing if you like, especially if it's hidden anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back