Wooden Window Sil / Lintle Seperating From Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Fist time poster. We've jus bought our 1st home so am delving into all the diy (and swearing) with gusto :)

In 1 of our bedrooms a wooden upper window sil or lintle is starting to drop or come away from the ceiling.

I think the previous occupants hung curtains which were too heavy.

So I am after a little advice on how to fix this back up into place?

All I can think is to use screws and plugs. If that is the case can anyone please be exact in the type of screws and plugs that would be required?

I am guessing that I would need to drill up through the wooden sil into the brickwork first. So 2 drill bits would be required (1 wood, 1 masonary)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Photos attached (once I've figured out how to do that). Don't worry about the state of the wallpaper etc. I know it may look like it but it's not damp.

Cheers View media item 68685 View media item 68684

Sponsored Links
Looking at that second image I wonder, is that damp in the corner or simply separation of the taped joints and wallpaper? ...pinenot :)

If that's a concrete lintel, you will need to borrow or hire a decent SDS hammer drill.

Sorry I forgot to say that the lintle thing is wood.

I only call it a lintle or sil as not sure what the correct name is.

The lintle is internal only. It is not exposed or or reaches to the other side of the wall

I've lifted to check and it is just separation.

I cannot be 100% what is above the wooden lintel but I presume it is concrete.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you tell a little about your house i.e. date of construction, type of build etc. etc. ...pinenot :)

Thanks pinenot.

The property is ex local authority.

It's a 3 bedroom split level masionette.

We are based on the ground floor and 1st floor. We have 1 other maisonette above us.

The property was built circa 1970's. Brick outside and concrete internally I understand.

The bedroom in question is facing the front of the property and is on the first floor (so set of windows under the glass fronted walkway).

I'll post another pic of the front of the property. View media item 68707Cheers

Concrete on the inside cavity, then this is not a timber lintel rather it's a timber packer. The lintel (concrete/steel) will be above this, if there is a lintel at all, concrete inside could be a concrete cast shell with extra reinforcement bars in location. Can this be confirmed? ...pinenot
:)

Hi,

Just so we are clear.

I am pretty sure that I am using the word lintle or sil in the wrong context :)

From the first set of pictures the silver curtain rail is screwed to a plank of wood. This plank is then somehow attached to the concrete above.

It is the plank of wood which is giving away to gravity. This plank is about 3cm in height and runs across the whole width of the window but stops at either wall end.

I cannot see how it (or others which are fine in the property) are physically fixed to the concrete (or whatever) above it.

I do not know how I will be able to find out what is above the plank of wood apart from taking a hammer and exposing what is under the plasterwork.

Thanks again

Cheers

Its a packing piece that probably was never secured to the lintel above it.....can't you just fill the gap, or is it loose?
John :)

Thx Burnerman,

I would say it is coming loose. I don't want to push or pull it too much and make it worse.

Yep I could fill the gap but I can see the packer is bowing so makes me think it will only get worse over time.

Cheers

Obviously its difficult for us to tell exactly whats happening here, but if the packer is just loose and you can lift it up by hand, consider squirting in some no nails or similar product (preferably the spirit base type) and put a temporary prop in until it cures.
Drilling upwards into a concrete lintel isn't any fun - when you hit the reinforcing bar inside!
Really it all depends on how secure the packer needs to be regarding your intentions for curtains etc.
John :)

Hi,

I absolutely understand that it's not an easy task to give advice. I do really appreciate everyone's comments/help :D

So I t looks like the first port of call is to no nail the thing up and see what happens.

I can see now why it may not be prudent drill up into it.

I wonder how originally this or what is the standard for fixing these packers?

Although I am not going to be using curtains my aim is to hang bamboo blinds (as the 1st pics) and also net curtains. Not too heavy I hope :)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back