Wooden work tops cupping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wooden worktops and one section is cupping slightly and wondered if a solution exisits to fix this problem?
What I thought of was to soak the under side of the worktop using a handheld steamer and then leaving an old slab on the top surface to put a bit of pressure on the edge that appears to be raising.

Any suggestions will be welcome peeps.

Sponsored Links
It should not be able to cup unless it not secured correctly.
Realy needs replacement if bad.

It should not be able to cup unless it not secured correctly.
Realy needs replacement if bad.

it is not that bad tbh..just I know it is there.

It is not secured at all...the guy who had the house prior to me has not used anything..should it be secured with screws or special brackets etc?

Sponsored Links
Has the underside been sealed/oiled same as the top, if not you will get cupping as the moisture entering the underside will make it expand and drying will make it contract.

Is it over an appliance, should have a vapour barrier above appliances especially dishwashers

Steaming the undersid ewil make the edges curl upwards you need to get moisture out to bring then down. Opposite if its bulging in the middle

J

Thanks for your replies gents....I think I may have cracked it. I have a dishwasher in the next unit along from the worktop so it is not directly underneath it and appears to be sealed. However, I traced the drain and found an open end directly underneath the pipework, facing upwards to wards the underside of the worktop, looks as if thats where the old sink used to be. I have sealed this now.

What can I use to slie underneath the worktop for a vapour barrier...any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back