Woodlice in cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm finding wood lice in my timber built house. I don't think I have an infestation as I'm was seeing one every 4-5 days. I've used plastic netting to block the weep holes and removed foliage near the external bricks. These 2 things have reduced the frequency of sighting but I'm still getting them enough to want to do something about it. Tonight I noticed one on the ceiling where the light fitting hole was so it must have come from there meaning they are in cavity between floors (and likely walls too). I've looked online and in America they spray a dust into the cavity but I can only find powder in the UK e.g. from amazon
BITEYI Pest Control Bulb Sprayer Handheld Pesticide Diatomaceous Earth Powder Duster With Long Copper Tube Easy-to-Use To Get Rid of Bugs & Pests (Orange)
Vitax Ltd 5WL150 Nippon Woodlice Killer Powder 150g

I'm not sure whether this power will be fine enough to work with a power duster above? Also, the above doesn't have much range so maybe putting a rubber tube on and feeding that through the cavity might have better effect?
Another thing I read was putting a dehumidifier on. I do own one but if there was a way I can funnel the machine to dehumidifier the cavity walls that might get rid of any residual ones that are in there?
I'm looking for advice & open to any and all options.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well they like damp, so fix the leak or condensation problem and they will go away.
Diatomaceous earth just tries to dessicate them. Boric acid is much more harmful to insects than people so I found it worked to get rid of a stubborn ants nest under the house.
It might be a leaky pipe, gutter or it might be the wrong vapour barriers either inside or out. You will have to look at the construction of your walls.

Thanks for the response. I checked some sections of the gutter a couple months back and they were fine. There wasn't even any muck. I'll have to do a full check off every part of the gutter.
How do I check the vapour barriers. I bought a Boris scope for about £50 but its not the great unless you you are only a couple of centimeters away from the target.

Can you elaborate on what I should be checking the walls for? They are typical single red brick 1985 construction bit the frame of the house is timer.

Thanks

I bought a Boris scope for about £50

boris scope.jpg

Bargain

Sponsored Links
My house is full timber, and never any wood lice, plenty in the damp bits round the garden. So with a brick skin you need to look for any window edges etc that might let in water. If its only at ground level could it be bridging bits of dropped mortar as the house went up? I used ebay to buy a kilo of boric acid, lasted a long time, and really does fix insects. But if there is damp anywhere they will find a suitable crevice as a home.

They eat rotting wood , harmless .
My concern is they are attracted to damp or rotting wood which is part of the timber infrastructure.
I've got a damp reader but that will only indicate if the plaster is damp not timber behind. The only high reading I have are near the kitchen door

My house is full timber, and never any wood lice, plenty in the damp bits round the garden. So with a brick skin you need to look for any window edges etc that might let in water. If its only at ground level could it be bridging bits of dropped mortar as the house went up? I used ebay to buy a kilo of boric acid, lasted a long time, and really does fix insects. But if there is damp anywhere they will find a suitable crevice as a home.
They appear on ground floor, 1st floor & I've seem dead ones in the attic too. Which is why I'm worried there maybe a lot more in the cavities on both floors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back