Woodlice Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently recarpeted our sitting room, having lifted a wooden floor, which was over the original floor boards. We now seem to have a daily appearance of woodlive in the room (only 1 or 2 a day). It would seem that they are getting into the roof from a cupboard housing the c/h boiler, via a hole in the floor, which was previously covered by the wood floor.

I read that woodlice like to live in damp conditions, feeding off rotting wood, amongst other things. This has now get me worried that I have a damp problem under my floor!

The house is circa 100 years old, stone built, with timber suspended floors, with a void under the floor of circa 2 ft, with a dirt base. When I lifted the wooden floor, everything appeared to be dry with not other signs of damp.

Anyone have any ideas if the woodlice will just be living in the dirt 2 ft away from my floor or if this is a likely sign I have a problem. I am planning to cover the hole in the floor of the cupboard so this should stop the woodlice coming into the room

thanks

Sponsored Links
You're right in that woodlice eat dead wood. Even thuogh you may not be able to detect dampness by visual inspection, I would be concerned that the act of putting a carpet down over the boards has stopped adequate ventilation below the floor. I would take steps to ensure that adequate underfloor ventilation is provided, possibly in the form of extra airbricks.

I wouldn't have thought that the air circulation has changed at all since I removed the wooden flooring and replaced with carpet.

I had to replace damaged floorboards when I took up the overlaid floor, so had the opportunity to check the under the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back